It may not seem like typing is an important skill to have these days, but it’s actually more needed than ever. Computers are used for most jobs and in turn, keyboards are also used. Though kids are growing up learning how to type on phones, tablets, and laptops, there is a lack of emphasis put on touch typing. What is touch typing? Continue reading as we discuss the essential skill of typing.
What is touch typing?
Touch typing refers to the act of typing without looking at the keyboard and using muscle memory. With specific finger placement and practice, you are able to become faster and faster at typing without looking at the letters.
From an employer’s perspective, this skill makes you stand out amongst other job candidates or other employees. Touch typing allows you to type faster and thus be more productive and accurate in your work.
What are the benefits of touch typing?
According to this article by LinkedIn, there are six main benefits to touch typing:
- Time Saver – Of course the number one benefit of typing skills is the amount of time it saves. Typing more words a minute will help you complete a project faster so you can move on to the next one. This saves both your time and the company’s.
- Health Benefits – Maybe a not so obvious benefit of touch typing is the impact it can have on your health. When touch typing, you aren’t having to constantly look down at the keyboard while typing. Instead, you sit in an upright position promoting good posture for your head, neck, and back.
- Decreased Fatigue – If you are having to think about where to place your fingers on the keyboard as well as your task at hand, you will exhaust your brain rather quickly. Touch typing encourages your brain to think through the content you are typing rather than the typing itself.
- Faster Text Production – To any employer, faster typing is a valued skill to possess. Faster typing results in more words per minute, which means more tasks get done in a shorter amount of time.
- Improved Accuracy – Someone who is able to type without looking at their keyboard will also make less mistakes. This results in less errors and less time to correct said errors on the backend.
- Higher Office Productivity and Morale – When a company is able to hire employees who are skilled at touch typing, their office will function more efficiently. This leads to better performance and communication within the work environment.
Do you want to learn how to touch type or improve your typing skills?
If you’re looking for ways to improve your typing skills, there are many resources available for free online.
Typing is an essential skill to develop at any point in your professional career. Computer skills are becoming more and more desirable as technology is increasingly changing.
How can we help you today?
We’d love to offer more insight on how to educate and protect yourself and your computer in this digital age. Please give us a call at 1-574-306-4017 or send us a message on our Contact page and let us know what computer or network problems you’re experiencing.
We can fix your computer problems!
We are a locally owned and operated business that handles IT residential and commercial computer services and selling of hardware.